Heritage Series, Part 2

In celebration of the 75th anniversary of D’Youville College, Sr. Mary Sheila Driscoll (1911-1994), second College Archivist, created a pamphlet series on the history and founding of D’Youville College.  Periodically, these pamphlets will be digitized and posted online.  Below are the first 3 pamphlets in the series:

The Administration Building, 1874 – 1908  

A Wing is Built; A College is Born, 1908 

Those Early Years –  The Seeds are Sown, 1908 – 1919


 

Heritage Series : Administration Building, 1874 – 1900

Sister Mary Sheila Driscoll (1911-1994) was the second D’Youville College Archivist, succeeding Sister St. Mary Jones.  In celebration of the 75th anniversary of the College, Sr. Mary Sheila created a pamphlet series on the history and founding of D’Youville College.

Periodically, a new pamphlet will be digitized and linked on this site.  Below is the first in this series, The Administration Building, 1874-1900.

Heritage Series: The Administration Building, 1874 - 1900

Heritage Series: The Administration Building, 1874 - 1900

Pamphlet cover.

Administration building

Administration building

The original building, now the Koessler Administration building, as it appeared in 1872. Holy Angels Church is visible in the background.

Heritage Series: The Administration Building, 1874 - 1900

Heritage Series: The Administration Building, 1874 - 1900

Page 2, "The Beginning."

Dr. R.V. Pierce's Palace Hotel, 1877

Dr. R.V. Pierce's Palace Hotel, 1877

Pierce's Hotel stood on Prospect between Porter and Connecticut, now the site of Alt and the Bauer Academic Center.

Heritage Series: The Administration Building, 1874 - 1900

Heritage Series: The Administration Building, 1874 - 1900

Page 3, "The West Side," "The Fire," and "The West Wing."

Administration building, 1887 (1)

Administration building, 1887 (1)

Rebuilt Administration building with additional West Wing after the fire of 1887.

Administration building, 1887 (2)

Administration building, 1887 (2)

Rebuilt Administration building with additional West Wing after the fire of 1887.

Heritage Series: The Administration Building, 1874 - 1900

Heritage Series: The Administration Building, 1874 - 1900

Page 4, "The West Wing, cont."

Administration building, 1983

Administration building, 1983

Koessler Administration building, as it appeared when Sr. Mary Sheila wrote this pamphlet. Over the years, the brick had been painted cream from its original red.

Koessler Administration building, 1985

Koessler Administration building, 1985

Koessler, as it appears today. The cream paint was sandblasted from the brick in 1985, restoring it to its original red brick.

Sister Mary Sheila Driscoll

Sister Mary Sheila Driscoll

Heritage Series: The Administration Building, 1874 - 1900Administration buildingHeritage Series: The Administration Building, 1874 - 1900Dr. R.V. Pierce's Palace Hotel, 1877Heritage Series: The Administration Building, 1874 - 1900Administration building, 1887 (1)Administration building, 1887 (2)Heritage Series: The Administration Building, 1874 - 1900Administration building, 1983Koessler Administration building, 1985Sister Mary Sheila Driscoll


 

The play’s the thing

The Tempest

This short finding aid lists plays produced in the D’Youville auditorium from 1908 to 1967, and minor plays enacted by special groups 1912 to 1962.  Download or view the guide to plays performed at D’Youville here.

Search the finding aid 2 ways:

1. Browse the guide chronologically.

2. Keyword search by using the Ctrl-F function [hold the "control" key and hit "f"].

The Merchant of Venice


 

Vertical File index finding aid

The D’Youville College Archives maintains A to Z subject files of topics, events, and people related to D’Youville College (the “vertical file”).  Materials contained in each file vary, but can include images, correspondence, brochures, and clippings.  An index to the Vertical File is now available online.

Search the index 2 ways:

1.  Keyword search by using the Ctrl-F function [hold the "control" key and hit "f"].

2.  Browse the index by subject, arranged A to Z.


 

D”Youville Rendered

1957 Architect's concept of Madonna Hall

1957 Architect's concept of Madonna Hall

1964 Architect's campus rendering

1964 Architect's campus rendering

1964 proposed Faculty Residence and Student Meditation Chapel

1964 proposed Faculty Residence and Student Meditation Chapel

1964 proposed Faculty Residence

1964 proposed Faculty Residence

1964 proposed Fine Arts Center

1964 proposed Fine Arts Center

1964 proposed Student Union and Athletic Center

1964 proposed Student Union and Athletic Center

Health Science (ALT) Building opened September 1967

Health Science (ALT) Building opened September 1967

Health Science (ALT) Building

Health Science (ALT) Building

1968 Architect's sketch of College Center And Gymnasium

1968 Architect's sketch of College Center And Gymnasium

College Center Lounge

College Center Lounge

proposed Student Center

proposed Student Center

1957 Architect's concept of Madonna Hall1964 Architect's campus rendering1964 proposed Faculty Residence and Student Meditation Chapel1964 proposed Faculty Residence1964 proposed Fine Arts Center1964 proposed Student Union and Athletic CenterHealth Science (ALT) Building opened September 1967Health Science (ALT) Building1968 Architect's sketch of College Center And GymnasiumCollege Center Loungeproposed Student Center


 

Nursing Pinning and Capping Ceremonies

 

This year’s pinning ceremony for graduating nurses is May 17 at Roswell Park in the Hohn Lecture Hall. The D’Youville pin is presented to graduates signifying their commitment to the nursing profession.  The Bachelor of Science Nursing program at D’Youville began in 1942 with the first graduating class in 1946.  At the time, D’Youville was a women’s college.  In 1971, the college became co-educational, and male nursing students were admitted.  The 1980s and 90s saw an expansion of the program to include Masters degrees.


 

Graduation!

First D'Youville graduates, 1912. Sitting: Pauline Garnett. Standing (l to r): Mary Brennan, Elizabeth Gosselin.

100 years ago, Pauline Garnett, Mary Brennan, and Elizabeth Gosselin became the first graduates of D’Youville College.  The event was held in the College Auditorium (now the Kavinoky) and was reported by Nanette Lancaster (class of 1913) in the D’Youville Magazine*:

Cardinal Farley presented the diplomas to the graduates, after which Bishop Colton placed upon each one the hood significant of the degree she received.  Those who had completed the course prescribed by the institution and were entitled to the degree of Bachelor of Arts were Miss Mary Brennan of Medina, NY, who received special honours in Latin, English and Pedagogy; Miss Pauline Garnett of Buffalo, who received her degree with special honours in History, English and Pedagogy; and Miss Elizabeth Gosselin of Redford, NY, with special honours in French and Pedagogy.  Miss Helena Sheehan of Buffalo, BA of Trinity College, 1911, who took a post-graduate course at D’Youville in English and Aesthetics, received the degree of Master of Arts.  Miss Elizabeth Cronyn, of Buffalo, because of her distinguished accomplishments in music, her splendid and successful efforts to elevate musical taste in Buffalo, and to establish high ideals of artistic musical performance, also because of her beautiful, Christian womanliness, received the degree of Doctor of Music.

 

Mary Brennan's diploma

This year’s graduation ceremony will be held at Kleinhan’s Music Hall, Saturday, May 19 at 9:00 am.  More information on tickets, graduation events and festivities can be found here.

*”Commencement Week,” by Nanette Lancaster.  D’Youville Magazine, vol. 5 no. 3 (July 1912).